Sunday, December 14, 2008

Brazilian Candy Recipe

In my search for Christmas baking recipes, I came across this recipe for a Brazilian candy called brigadeiros or "brigadiers". I can't express my delight and general excited thrilledness over finding it! I'll try to give you at least an idea by giving you some background.

See, my family lived in Brazil for four years; I spent my fifth through ninth years happily enjoying every minute there and trying to convince the world that I was a Brazilian and not an American. ; )

In Brazil parties of all sorts and sizes are a very big deal, and one of the requirements for parties and receptions was yummy foods. Imagine a little girl (very aware of her own cuteness, I'm afraid) sitting at a party enjoying the most important part of the whole deal (in her mind, at least) as she tucked away doces (bite sized sweets) and salgadinhos (bite sized salty treats).

The first chocolatey-gooey bite of brigadeiro brought back a flood of warm memories; eating them almost makes me feel like a little girl again. And guess what. They are super easy to make!

Brigadeiros

3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons butter
Sprinkles

In a small saucepan, bring the cocoa powder, condensed milk and butter to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir until thickened. Transfer to a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Roll into 1-in. balls; roll in sprinkles (or finely chopped nuts, or powdered sugar if you are a cheap-skate like me). Store in the refrigerator.

2 comments:

Tammie said...

i'm so glad you found it.

Kate @ A Simple Walk said...

That sounds so good, and I have all the ingredients on hand. I might try to throw them together after the kids go to bed tonight. Thanks!