Monday, July 27, 2009

Watching my garden grow

This picture was taken early this spring when we were just beginning to work on our garden. My tiny tomato plants still had to be protected from late frosts and dry winds by their water walls, the weeds were prolific but small, and my vegetable seeds had just been put into the ground. It's amazing what amazing changes have happened in a couple short months! The vegetables are thriving (as are the weeds, I'm afraid, since I haven't been extremely diligent about weeding). Here are a few photos I took on a garden ramble shortly after a welcome bit of Montana rain this weekend.

My snow peas are almost ready!

The tomatoes are thriving: growing tall, blooming profusely, and becoming covered with small green fruit.

My first little pepper has even appeared. This one should turn out to be a red bell pepper. Normally I dislike bell peppers, but since they are not only prohibitively expensive but also a must in this recipe I thought I'd try my hand at growing them.

I also have wildly prolific spinach, some rather scraggly but healthy looking potato plants, four rows of feathery carrots, and a few green bean plants. I am thankful that everything escaped relatively unscathed from the violent hail storm we had this week. One lady I know smilingly says that she doesn't need to gamble because gardening in Montana is enough gambling for her. ; ) I tend to agree.

5 comments:

Shaina said...

I grew up in CA where very few people have spaces for gardening..and even if they did, it doesn't rain nearly enough to even attempt gardening. However..I've been in SD for nearly 3 years now and I am amazed at how simply EVERYONE seems to have their own garden! haha... I have yet to actually try it. My goal was last year...didn't happen, my goal was this year...also didn't happen. Hopefully next year will be a more successful year!!

BTW - I posted a question on one of your Mother's Day posts about a photo. it's one of you and your Mom. I'm wondering where you took that photo! :)

Journeying Five said...

your garden looks fabulous! i wish we could grow peppers.

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas said...

Wonderful garden! I use to dislike peppers, as well, but now I like them in a few things, like fajitas and a thai recipe. Maybe it's when they are overpowered by something else...

stitching under oaks said...

For some reason, your blog isn't updating in my bloglines...I've got some catching up to do. Looks like you've been busy in that garden. everything looks great. Thanks for your kind comment on my blog. Have a great weekend.

Brenda said...

So would you recommend gardening in MT? :) My husband and I want to garden/have a small farm and we're considering Big Fork (his grandparents farmed on 240 acres there, we might be able to farm 20 or so). I found your blog because I was looking up Montana homemakers! ;) We're Christians, too--what part of MT are you in? Do you know of any good churches in Big Fork, Kalispell, or somewhere around there? We're currently in Oregon & we love MT. Do you think it's worth the move or is gardening there too much of a gamble? :) :) Oh yeah, and your son is a little young for this--but do you happen to know of homeschool groups? I homeschool and have a great co-op here. I'd love to find one there! You can e-mail me brenda at seriousmoms dot com. :)