Monday, September 21, 2009

Brothers


I am an only child. A few months after Little Man was born, I realized that I was terrified that he would be an only child because in spite of all my childhood friends trying to tell me how wonderful it was to be an only child, I know the cold, hard truth of how lonely it really is. Thankfully I realized that I should not feed my fears and I turned in trust to God who knows what is best for me and my children.

Then when I was pregnant with Brother, I started feeling nervous about having more than one child. After all, I had seen my parents' example of how one raises an only child, but I had no idea how to manage more than one. I didn't need to worry about that either. Little Man made as nearly seamless a transition into big brotherhood as I think is possible, and I'm finding that God gives much wisdom as I invest in two boys at once.

I find such joy in watching my two boys interact. Little Man loves his little brother so much. He takes great delight in bringing blankets and pacifiers and in "helping" carry Brother's car seat. He wants to know where Brother is when he wakes up and has to kiss Brother every night. Little Man is gentle with Brother and is so sad when he accidentally hurts him. And Brother loves watching Little Man when he is awake and Little Man is playing near him. He moves his head as much as he can, following his big brother's movements. I hope that what is happening now is the foundation for a lifelong friendship. I suppose that's just one more thing I can trust God about.

4 comments:

Tammie said...

beautiful posts. we are so proud of you.

Journeying Five said...

what a great post! your boys are growing so much!

stitching under oaks said...

they will surely grow up to be friends...with the faith of their parents guiding them and leading them.

Anonymous said...

Brothers, brothers, there never were such devoted brothers... =)