Wednesday, November 3, 2010


Earlier this week, I completed the prototype which I hope is the beginning of much hat-y goodness to come. It ended up being quite a bit too big on me, so I gave it to my cute Little Mum. It's a bit big on her too, though, so i think I'll need to add some elastic in the back. There are actually several things I would do differently if i could make it again, but hey, that's the whole reason I made a prototype.

It is made of beautiful wool which I upcycled from a vintage suit, found at our local "bargain basement" for $1. While I had a hard time not feeling badly as I cut apart the original maker's careful, quality work, I am delighted have the opportunity to breathe new life into it, making a wearable piece of art.

The flower pin is made of scraps left from the hat, red wool and buttons from my stash, and loops of wool yarn left over from a scarf. It makes for a quietly exuberant flower.

I enjoyed making both the hat and the flower and look forward to making many more!


Heidi said...

Wow! Nice job! I would think hats to be quite tricky to make.
Yours looks great!

A Mommy's World said...

You are so fun! I wish I had the guts to start working on projects and set up an Etsy! I have thought about it a lot, but never actually done it. The hat looks really great and I have always really liked your caligraphy! :) Keep up the good work!

Larissa said...

Your hat is gorgeous and the color looks perfect on you. (I also love the one you wore in the family photos several posts ago.) I am studying your flower closely - love that you added wool yarn - becasue I want to make some for some of my utilitarian mama accessories - i even read a book on sewing flowers at the bookstore this weekend. Keep designing - you are so talented.