Wednesday, September 14, 2011

calendars with the boys

Little Man is getting big enough that he can remember things from last year and look forward to them happening again this year. This is a very good thing. However, after being asked every day for the first two weeks of August if the fair, the parade, and his birthday were going to happen tomorrow, I decided he needed something to help him gain some concept of time.

My first idea was making a paper chain with him, a link for each day, and counting down by taking off one link per day. That was a bit too involved, though, and just didn't happen. My mom suggested printing up calendars instead. It was a brilliant idea. After a quick google search, I found these monthly printable calendars with coloring pictures at the top.

The boys loved coloring them.

Then we hung them on the fridge. I marked special events on Little Man's calendar with words and little pictures, and (almost) every day we talk about which day of the week it is, and put a sticker on the correct square. (Yes, I know those are August calendars. We have September ones up now; I'm just behind on my posting.)

It's wonderful. Little Man and Brother are learning about months and days of the week. Little Man can see for himself how many days are left until the events he's eagerly anticipating. And I don't have to try to explain every day how long weeks are or how many are between now and his birthday. It's a win-win-win situation! : )

1 comment:

stitching under oaks said...

what a great idea...sounds like there are some pretty important dates coming up! And little brother looks like his August was full of fun! :) Enjoy your weekend.