Sunday, January 18, 2009

Realistic Goal Setting

Realistic goal setting is something I struggle with. I love setting goals and writing lists. I love making big plans and tackling bigger projects. It's the "realistic" that's hard.

My husband has been learning and talking about goal setting and thought habits lately. I've been encouraged by his example. I have been challenged to set some achievable goals and to think positive, true thoughts about myself. I struggle with telling myself the truth about myself as well as with realistic goal setting, but I already wrote about it here, so I am focusing on goals today.

Here is what I have come up with so far:

Housework (okay, so I'm not an amazing house cleaner, and this takes some humility to write out):
~I would like to keep up on the dishes. Ideally, I would like to go to bed every night with no dishes in the sink, on the counter, or on the table, and I will aim for that. But I will be pleased if no dishes get left for two days or longer.
~I would like to wash and fold one load of laundry per day, except on weekends or on days that I don't have enough dirty laundry to make up a full load.
~I would like to vacuum, sweep, mop, and dust every two weeks. (I can probably count on one hand the times that I've vacuumed since we moved into this house in April; yeah, I need to work on it, but in my defense I'll add that our carpet never looks dirty because of its amazing grime-camouflageing capabilities.) I used to try to do those four tasks every week, but it just wasn't happening with having Little Man around, so I just gave up. Bad Idea.
~I would like to do a quick tidy to put things back in their places at least every other day, but preferably every day.
~I would like to keep the area under Little Man's high chair clean.

Relationships (I'm thankful that I do better on this one!):
~I would like to prioritize my time with God; reading my Bible faithfully and praying without ceacing.
~I would like to pay undivided attention to my husband when he's talking to me and to be a cheerful, honoring wife.
~I would like to stay off the Internet while Little Man is up except in cases of necessity. (For example, getting a recipe for dinner is necessary, but even a quick check on what my friends' status updates are on Facebook while I'm getting the recipe isn't).

Projects:
~I am going to keep in mind that projects are secondary to the above mentioned goals.
~I would like to finish the following projects that I have already begun: My parents' calendar, Irish fair quilt #3, my sweater, my hand-sewn crazy quilt.
~I would like to begin (and finish!) the following projects: baby quilts for two or three friends who are having babies, a velvet quilt that I've had in mind for a while, tote bags to sell, more cards to sell, pen and ink art project for Little Man that I've had in mind for a while.

Music:
~I would like to be the best music teacher there is to my two (maybe three soon) students.
~I would like to be faithful in my flute practice, even if it's just 15-20 minutes a day.

I think I can keep on top of these goals. Perhaps I'll print up tidy lists and hang them on my fridge so that I can keep my realistic goals in mind. Or maybe I'll make myself a housekeeping star chart and give myself stickers for a job well-done to encourage motivation. hehe...

5 comments:

Christina said...

Oh man...I HAVE to vaccuum a few times a week. I have 2 dogs, 1 cat and a toddler. LOL. The dishes goal is one I have been working on the passed few days. It's so much easier to do dishes every day than wait until there's a huge pile.

Jennifer @ Her Southern Charm said...

Oh goodness girl! When I read about your vacuuming, I gasped! hee hee. I think I'm obsessed with vacuuming. I do it at least once a day. But I'm pretty crazy. ;)

Good luck with your goals. I know you can do it!!!

Tammie said...

Christina said...

I know my vacuuming habits are pretty dismal, but there are so many more interesting things to spend my time doing! Hey, look at all the cute projects I finish during the time I might be vacuuming. ; ) Seriously, though, I know it needs some work, which is why I'm setting it as a goal.

Robert Sagor said...

I love lists and schedules too, your idea is great, I might have to pick up on it!

BTW I'm on facebook too! I have found it to be MUCH better than myspace!