Monday, March 15, 2010

Monday Menu

M-Broccoli Cheddar Soup (a new recipe for me) and French bread. This was the first time I'd made it, and wow, YUM! It was so good. I even followed the recipe like it was written instead of changing it up like I usually do with one exception. I didn't pulse it in the blender; I simply chopped my carrots and broccoli into small pieces. (Sorry, Summer, but your allusion to it being like baby food made the blending impossible.) : )

T-I'm in charge of the side for small group this week and am making a large salad (for 12 adults and 5 children).

W-A corned beef hash type thing wrapped in cabbage leaves and baked. I am combining a couple of different recipe ideas and will be winging my own version of corned beef and cabbage, thus the vague description.

Th-Sweet and Sour Chicken (I figure we'll need something lighter after our St. Patrick's day meal.)

F-home made pizza (This might get rearranged, though, since I forgot to get ingredients for it at the store today.)

Menu-ing tip:

Make your own chicken broth!
Pick any leftover meat off the chicken bones and throw the carcase into a pot. (Sorry if any of my readers are vegetarian... I'm second guessing including that photo; it looks kinda yucky.)

Add some vegetables. Anything that's around your house will work. I've used all sorts of combinations of celery, onions, garlic cloves, and even carrots, tomatoes, or cabbage.

Fill the pot with water.

Bring it to a boil and let it simmer for a long time. (I usually cook it for a couple of hours.) When it's done simmering, cool the broth for a while and then strain it.

Use the broth for Broccoli Cheddar soup, Sweet and Sour Chicken, Chicken Soup, etc. (Don't forget to add salt like I often do.)

If you have some left over, freeze it to thaw and use later.

What are you making this week?

2 comments:

Laura Railing said...

so random question. is that a pint of ice cream upside down in the freezer door? lol. The picture of the cans in the freezer :-D random random!

Christina said...

It's a pint of sorbet. Yes, it's upside down in the freezer. My mom used to work at Baskin Robbins, and they always stored their ice cream upside down; the weight of the ice cream helps seal it and it stays fresh longer. The photo of jars in the freezer is to illustrate: If you have some left over, freeze it to thaw and use later.