Monday, July 25, 2011

nursery nook--quilt

My last piece of hand made decor for Sweet Pea's nursery-nook has been a small quilt (about 40 inches square) made from scraps left from the pillows, curtains, and bumper. Stress and time management made it imperative that I keep the design simple. It was so hard to keep myself from getting carried away, but in the end I stuck to simple, six-inch squares arranged randomly to accommodate the uneven number of squares in each print. Oh, and I couldn't resist one little bunny applique. : )
I'm pleased that I stuck to a simple design. Not only was it a wise, time-efficient choice, but it also really makes the most of the richness of the prints and the texture of the squiggly quilting.

It truly is a scrap quilt. I pieced the back from wide leftover strips and six inch wide pieces left over from cutting the squares. The binding is made from pieces of three different prints since there was simply not enough red to bind it entirely in red like I originally planned. Even the batting inside is in four different pieces! I can't help but feel pleased with the efficient way I'm using up my materials.

3 comments:

Tammie said...

it is a sweet completion to the ensemble. <3

stitching under oaks said...

I love it! that little bunny is too sweet. It doesn't look like you compromised anything...fabulous job!

Debi said...

Absolutely lovely! I love it! Sweet Pea is a lucky little girl to have such a beautiful nook! And that bunny is just the perfect touch!