Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Project of the Day

We moved into our new home Easter weekend, but it took until last week to find a sturdy bookshelf with tall enough shelves to house our collection of music books (plus a few other favorites). It was worth waiting for. It is black (hooray!), it was brand new in its box, and it was purchased at a semi-local second hand store (only an hour away, in Butte, where we do most of our big shopping). In short, it was just what we wanted for half the regular price.

My husband planted an idea seed in my mind of making it more than just a book shelf. The idea of making it a work of home-decor art with nicely arranged books spiced up with some extras. I had fun today figuring out which books needed to be moved up from the built-in shelf downstairs, how I was going to arrange them all, and just which of my stashed away decorating accents I would add. I had so much fun, and I foresee more book rearranging tomorrow...

Now all I need is to figure out a more stylish way of storing Little Man's toys. Perhaps a cute storage basket that is currently 50% off at Joann's...
This is another recent project. The music books were stacked on top of the piano, which was cluttery but better than the alternative: boxes of books in the living room. I was oh, so happy to do a bit of decorating on top of the piano too.

I am so pleased that my house is slowly but surely shaping up to be a lovely and orderly place. I must remember, though, that while I want it to be a place of peace where I can minster to others, I must be at peace myself to achieve that goal.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Spaceofgrace said...

Very well written! I agree with your thoughts on getting things orderly, and about peace. I need to pray about the peace part! And I love your bookshelf!! I have one I like too... and I finally have it so that my four boys don't pull it all apart. Just a question... is that little basket of toys all of your toy stock??? I'm envious!!! And what a great idea... I think I need to do another purge soon!

Christina said...

No, believe me, that's not the entire toy stock. ; ) I sorted out the infant toys, which are in a box in the basement waiting for baby #2 (not presently on the way, just for the record) ; ) There are books, larger toys and more stuffed animals in his room. Also, I'm following some excellent advice from an experienced mom: put away half the toys until your child is boored with the ones that are out, then switch. It's brilliant! It's almost like having new toys all the time, and mom has half the clutter!