Friday, March 16, 2012

adult hats

A little over a year ago, I made a wool hat as a gift for my brother-in-law.  I bought vintage wool suits and upcycled the fabric to make them.  The hat turned out nicely, and I even made a couple more, but I was still left with a bulky pile of partially cut up suits.  To save space in my studio (Ha. It sounds so pretentious to call my little crafty space a studio, but I like it.), I cut the remaining usable fabric into hat pieces and discarded the rest.

These hat pieces have been sitting, waiting to be turned into adorable hats for...hm...longer than I want to admit. It turns out that even though I can make a decent hat, millinery is not my passion.  All those picky curved seams that must be pressed open drive me crazy.  I finally buckled down, though, and three berets and six newsboy caps later, I am done with hat making (if not forever, then at least for a long, long time).  Now all that I have left is the somewhat more relaxing task of making the remaining wool scraps into coordinating flower pins.

1 comment:

Tammie said...

:) you do lovely work, christina. <3