Thursday, May 26, 2011

nursery nook--mobile

After choosing the art I did for Sweet Pea's nursery nook, I knew that the rest of the decor would have to be unique and somewhat untraditional. After looking at a few mobiles (okay, a lot. I looked a lot of them.), I realized that nothing even remotely matched what I had envisioned. So I decided to do what I was inclined toward in the first place: make my own.

After much thinking, daydreaming, and as-I-drift-of-to-sleep designing, I made a workable plan. Last week I was excited to finally able to implement my plan. The mobile is based on a piece of Naokosstoop's art that I love but did not buy because the colors didn't fit with the others I had chosen.

For the flowering branches I chose a few light and shapely sticks left over from bush pruning in our yard and carefully sewed hand-cut flowers onto the end of each twig. The flowers are made from two layers of mulberry paper (one white, one pale yellow), a vintage sequin, and a golden seed bead. This part of the process was so painstaking and time consuming, and I became a little impatient and decided to make the mobile quite a bit smaller than I had originally planned.

I also made a little Red Knit Cap Girl from scraps of scrapbooking paper. I free-handed the pieces to make her, but she is based closely on the girl in another piece of Naokosstoop's art. Then I made a little bunny friend for her and assembled the pieces of the mobile with clear thread.

[It is surprisingly difficult to photograph a mobile.]

I hope I'm not infringing on copyright with copying the girl and rabbit, but I think I'm okay. After all, it is made from a different medium, and thanks to the picky little flowers I will absolutely not be making any to sell. : )

I do love how it turned out. And all of my guys like it too, which is very satisfying. Benjamin is in hearty consent of the art I chose and thinks the mobile is cute, Little Man keeps requesting to "see that thing you made for [Sweet Pea]" and Brother loves the occasional times he is lifted to carefully touch it and watch it move. Now I can't wait to finish the rest of the stuff for Sweet Pea's nursery-nook so that I can enjoy it all together!

8 comments:

Tammie said...

very sweet and lovely.

Sarah said...

That is so innovative and adorable! Better than plush animals and different than anything one could find at a store. :)

Laura Railing said...

LOVE it! That goes so well with what you chose. God has given you so much creativity and talent. It's neat to see the things you come up with for others and your family. Sweet pea is very blessed to have you as a mama!

Cindy said...

Oh my!!!! My vintage girl is in love with oriental things right now, and this would look so good in her tweener room! Thanks so much for sharing what you did!

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful...and I can see why all the kiddos like it! =)

Bonita Rose said...

too adorable.. love it!

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

That is so beautiful! I love the flowers on the real branches. Such a sweet idea for for a nursery. Love it!

SarahZ said...

Oh! How sweet! And delicate! Your talents really are amazing:) It is a wonderful treat to peak in at your many and varied accomplishments!