Saturday, November 8, 2008

Pumpkin Butterscotch Cookies

I have enjoyed making these easy, cakey pumpkin cookies almost every autumn since receiving the recipe. Oh, they are good! Yesterday I decided on a whim to good up one my my pie pumpkins since the oven was going to be on for a while roasting the chicken for our dinner. Earlier that afternoon, I had been nibbling on some butterscotch chips that is was supposed to be saving for another desert. But it didn't matter that I was nibbling because there were plenty left for my other recipe.

Suddenly I had a crazy idea. What if I replaced the chocolate chips in my recipe with butterscotch chips? The more I thought about it the more I liked the thought. I tried it, and it worked! Even my husband (who as I just discovered this fall, doesn't like pumpkin) likes the cookies.

It's a good thing those butterscotch chips are on sale this week; I'm going to need more for my other desert...

Anyway, here's the recipe:

Pumpkin Butterscotch Cookies

Cream:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup pureed pumpkin

Add and mix until well combined:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 cup butterscotch chips (or chocolate chips if you prefer).

Drop by rounded spoonfuls on a cookie sheet, and bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. Be careful not to under cook them (like I did one of my cookie sheets full last night), unless, of course, you like doughy food; however, they're not as good that way, in our opinions.

2 comments:

Shaina said...

That sounds wonderful! I just cooked and pureed my very first pumpkin tonight :) I'm trying to decide what my first pumpkin recipe will be haha, there are so many to choose from!

Christina said...

Oh, I know, I always have a really hard time decideing which pumpkin recipe to use too! I ended up getting two pie pumpkins this year so I could try more of them!