Wednesday, June 2, 2010

our trip: the drive

"On the road again, just can't wait to get on the road again, like a band of gypsies we roll down the highway. We're the best of friends..."

On our Memorial Day trip we spent a grand total of about twenty-four hours in the car driving through parts of Montana, Idaho, Utah, and Colorado. The scenery was breathtakingly beautiful, the boys were (for the most part) as good as gold, the music was good, and my conversation partner was (as always) brilliant, so it went as quickly as that long of a trip can.

I spent the hours taking photos (lots, and lots of photos), keeping the boys calm, talking with Benjamin, listening to music, and feasting my eyes on the gorgeous colors all around me. Here are some of my favorite shots.

I took an immoderate number of cloud photos from the windows.
[Clockwise from top left: The rain comes down, just after sunset, puffy low clouds, and sunbeams through clouds]

I also took an immoderate number of mountain photos, documenting the changes in scenery as we traveled along.
[Clockwise from top left: Mountains and clouds less than an hour south of our town, red rock and blue sky after Vernal, Utah, Utah, mountains and valley in Idaho, and breathtaking peaks outside of Heber City.]

Little Man was also a charming subject for photography. He spent the hours sleeping, making cheesy grins for mom, singing and talking, snacking, reading books, and looking for birds, excavators, and other equipment.
I also experimented with slow shutter speeds and highway lights. It was fun to make light-scribble hearts and squiggles.
Of course I also had to snap a few photos of the handsome guy beside me. ; ) Benjamin spent his long hours in the car driving, driving, and driving. He gets motion sick if he isn't the one driving. Plus he has good reflexes, good judgement, and good stamina which all combine to make an excellent driver. Plus I would rather take photos out of the windows than focus on the road ahead. All of those factors make him the logical choice for being the driver on the long road trips we so love to take.
Coming soon! Our trip: the hotel

No comments: