Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Coffee Kuchen

This is a recipe that I remember making with my mom when I was little. It is so yummy with it's earthy coffee flavor and crumbly topping, and every once in a while I acquire a fierce craving for it. Yesterday was one of those days, so Little Man and I mixed up a batch and were enjoying this old favorite in no time.

~Preheat over to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (Woot! I spelled "Fahrenheit" correctly on the first try this time!)

~Combine:
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking power
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
4 teaspoons instant coffee (I usually make them slightly heaping teaspoons.)

~Cut into flour mixture until it resembles fine crumbs:
1/2 cup butter or margarine

~Reserve 3/4 cup of crumbly mixture for topping. If you live at a high altitude like I do, add an extra 1/4 cup of flour to the flour mixture at this point and mix it in.

~Whisk together:
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg

~Add the wet ingredients to the crumbly, dry ingredients. Gently mix it up into a moist batter (no beating or vigorous mixing, please!). Scrape the batter into a lightly greased 9"x9" square baking dish, and spread it evenly.

~Sprinkle the reserved crumbly mixture on top.

~Bake it for 20-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

~Enjoy!

3 comments:

Tammie said...

mmm. maybe i should make some.

Christina said...

Yeah, I ate a shockingly immoderate amount of it.

stitching under oaks said...

this sounds perfect...i'm going to make it today! thanks girl!